Sometimes I just need to take some time to reflect.
I have been working now 2+ months. It has been one of my biggest struggles with the greatest rewards. My babies, as I like to call them (they are only 6 or 7) have lived so much in their young lives. There are days that I just come home wanting to cry or scream from seeing how things affect these precious children. Working at a low income school I knew it was bound to have its challenges but I don't know if ANYONE can fully be ready to take on all of this. There is a little boy (not in my class) who has a cancer and has had to have repeated amounts of surgery for tumors in his brain. He would wake up have a car/taxi pick him up at his house, take him to the hospital for chemo, then drop him off at school. Only to prolong the inevitable. I watched Jerome go throw rounds and rounds of chemo surrounded by friends & family. He is 6... and going through it alone. His family tries hard to support but with both parents working trying to support their large family it is a struggle. What you do need to know about him is that his smile is contagious. He inspires me every single day. We love on him more than you could ever know.
These kids deal with so much on a daily basis. From parents being illiterate to having a parent in jail or not being able to be sure if they will have food on the table. My school does do an amazing job of helping and supporting these families and I am BLESSED to be at such an amazing school. My team, who I have come to love, amazes me with the effort they put in everyday to provide a safe and positive learning environment for these kids.
Needless to say, I am exhausted, in love with my job, and loving these kids SO MUCH.
Right now I don't know where I will be teaching next year. I am praying that I will be able to stay at the school I currently at but I don't know yet. My prayer is that I am whatever school I meant to be at that I can truly help these kiddos.
Hope you have a WONDERFUL Easter...
New Website!
13 years ago


1 comments:
I'm proud of you, Katia. And God will certainly place you where you can most use your gifts next year. I know you are changing the lives of those little ones each day, just as they change yours.
Post a Comment